While I did my research beforehand, I was nowhere near prepared for the journey. Less than 200 miles east of Los Angeles lies the gem of Joshua Tree. By . We brought you The Ultimate Road Trip Guide to Joshua Tree Part I, where we explored the dreamy, insider destinations throughout this quaint town.Today we’re bringing you Part II, which focuses on the secret gems of Joshua Tree National Park and everything you need to know while exploring this beautiful, and recently re-opened national treasure. Los Angeles to Joshua Tree National Park drive. Stop at Intersection Rock This is a great place to watch the sunset. Joshua Tree National Park is no stranger to road-trippers and daydreamers, but don’t let someone else’s Instagram photo be assumed as all there is to see. Two Monkeys Travel – California road trip in Joshua Tree National Park Route 66 is 2300 miles of iconic American highway, which was the first single road to cross the US from East to West. This is a land shaped by strong winds, sudden torrents of rain, and climatic extremes. 5 hour drive from Los Angeles which makes it the closest National Park to the City of Angels. [ read more ] … Below we’ve given you all the details on where to go in Joshua Tree. If you’re not familiar with the area, the driving time from Las Vegas to Joshua Tree is around 3.5 hours. It was Ben's first time down this part of Route 66 so he was excited to check out one of the ultimate American road trip destinations. Incredible desert views surround the many hikes, campsites,and rock climbing spots in this national park. The North and West entrances are located in Joshua Tree town and Twentynine Palms. Keep reading for 12 of the best things to do in Joshua Tree and start planning your trip! Joshua Tree Road Trip in the Mazda CX-3. Arrive early, ideally at 8 AM, just as the visitor center is opening, so you can spend as much time in the park as possible before the crowds and hotter temperatures arrive. Jan 22, 2016 . The first day Drew from BenSpark.com and I headed down Route 66 to some places I have visited before, but many I had never really stopped at to explore. Visit the Cholla Cactus Gardens. Or you can head north and visit the most scenic part of California’s coast in Big Sur . (tap on any row to expand for more details) Los Angeles. Joshua Tree is where the Mojave and the Colorado desert ecosystems come together (the Colorado desert is a subdivision of the Sonoran Desert.) Watching a sunset, viewing the night sky in the evening, or walking throughout the park is truly amazing. This trail is one of the shorter ones in the park at only half a mile round trip. Take a LEFT on Park Blvd to "Joshua Tree" Stop at Skull Rock - a roadside attraction. Two are east, on the way to Palm Springs, Joshua Tree, Las Vegas or Death Valley. Palm Springs. You're going to love Joshua Tree National Park. For the South entrance, stay on I-10 and exit on Cottonwood Spring Rd. The driving itinerary begins at the north entrance and stops at all of the must see attractions in the park finishing up at the south entrance. Rainfall is sparse and unpredictable. The eclectic town of Joshua Tree is a must-see as well, with thrift stores and art galleries galore. A Day Trip Guide to Joshua Tree National Park Just two-and-a-half hours from Los Angeles and San Diego, Joshua Tree National Park serves as a haven for outdoor enthusiasts, rock climbers, star gazers, and anyone wishing to escape the hustle and bustle of the nearby cities. Take the road less travelled on a weekend trip from Los Angeles to Joshua Tree National Park and discover the hidden treasures of this starkly beautiful desert region. Just as the park is named after the Joshua Trees, this hike is named after the cactus. The Ultimate Road Trip Guide to Joshua Tree By . Miles from L.A.: ~105. Joshua Tree National Park is only a 2 - 2. Joshua Tree National Park is immense, nearly 800,000 acres, and infinitely variable. We love this area and we take this trip a few times a year. This one day itinerary is great for those who are limited with time or if you are looking for a quick detour on your road trip to or from Las Vegas or the Grand Canyon. Joshua Tree is just a 2 hour drive outside of Los Angeles and you’ll be in a whole new breathtaking world, straddling the Mojave Desert and the Colorado Desert, with sooo much more to see. Cottonwood Visitor Center. getting to joshua tree from los angeles Joshua Tree is located in the Southern California region and is about 134 miles from Long Beach (where we started from). Time to head home. Cottonwood Visitor Center is a great place to start your day trip to … That's it! Hi, myself and my wife will be visiting the US for the first time in June from the UK. There’s even a goat hike involved! Explore Southern California's desert landscape on this road trip through quirky towns and Joshua Tree National Park. Follow this itinerary to see the very best of Joshua Tree in one day: Joshua Tree Visitors Center. Grab your Palo Santo and sandalias, this road trip from LA to Joshua Tree is just what your insta-feed ordered. It turns out there were so many things that we didn’t know – the lack of convenience stores, the state of the roads, how many things there are to see along the way, etc. Because I've been cooped up for the last three months, getting out of the house was an exhilarating experience, which was only amplified by the astounding beauty of the natural splendor of Joshua Tree! From LA, take the I-10 East towards Riverside to CA-62 (Twentynine Palms Highway). Known as the host of spiritual quests and modern life escapes, the park’s culture stems from the alternative and artsy town of Joshua Tree. With an open mind and lots of water, prepare for a unique desert experience. During this 2 week road trip, some of the destinations visited included: Los Angeles - San Diego - Joshua Tree National Park - Grand Canyon - Las Vegas - Yosemite National Park - San Francisco From LAX, it’s a 2 hour, 40-minute drive to the town of Joshua Tree. A full day: Joshua Tree is 2–3 hours East of LA and you’ll want at least 5 hours to go through the park. In addition to exploring the park the previous late afternoon, I … It is perfect for families with younger children who may not have the stamina for longer hikes. Suggested round-trip time: 2 days min. And two are south, on the way to San Diego. This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may receive a small commission if you book through my links, at no extra cost to you. Getting to and around Joshua Tree National Park requires a vehicle as there is no park shuttle. Outbound Collective. If you’re not feeing the redwoods and are more in the mood for desert, there’s no better place to go than Joshua Tree National Park. Day 2: 123 miles from Mojave to Joshua Tree. The Kookiest Road Trip from Los Angeles. Joshua Tree National Park is great for nature, relaxation, culture. If you want to return to San Diego to complete your Joshua Tree road trip, we would recommend following the Pacific Coast Highway (California Route 1) from San Diego to Los Angeles. One of our favorite California road trips is the drive to the high desert. Anne Fullerton. Share this article. There are several entrances to Joshua Tree National Park. As you make your way out of Mojave and head towards Joshua Tree, leave time to stop off at some of the area’s beloved roadside oddities. Add in meals and you’ve used a full day. Add in meals and you’ve used a full day. How to Travel to Joshua Tree Whether you live in SoCal or are flying in for a trip, you’ll probably be driving to Joshua Tree from Los Angeles. For the purposes of this post, I’ll assume you’re staying in Joshua Tree or Twentynine Palms, as I did. drive for about 37 minutes. Escape the city pressures by communing with nature and enjoying the simple life at this well-known national park. July 28, 2018. Enjoy our ultimate road trip guide below. It’s a quiet ride and only 2.5 hours away from Los Angeles and our end goal is to come back refreshed and inspired. This road trip through Joshua Tree National Park will show you how to see all of the park’s highlights in one day. Or the perfect add-on to a Southern California road trip! Joshua Tree National Park is under 3 hours from Los Angeles, San Diego, and Las Vegas, making it an easy weekend escape. A quick and easy trip … The World Famous Crochet Museum is exactly what it sounds like: a run-down photo-processing booth transformed into a quirky museum that honors the art of crochet. Our absolute favorite high desert destination, Joshua Tree, is a peaceful and unique area. Your ultimate guide to planning the best summer road trip » Goat Hike at the Yogi Goats Farm Price: $60/person Yogi Goats Farm is an experience like no other. Joshua Tree Road Trip A couple weeks ago I took a road trip to Joshua Tree with my husband and a couple members of his family. Exit the Park thru the WEST entrance (Joshua Tree) Get Dinner at the Joshua Tree Saloon. 1 hour from Los Angeles (34 miles) At only just over 30 miles from Los Angeles, Malibu is the closest of the road trips… Day 1, 11:00 am. It can seem unwelcoming, even brutal during the heat of summer when, in fact, it is delicate and extremely fragile. This off-the-grid bubble-house Airbnb offers you all the views a Joshua Tree night sky has to offer. Day 2: Joshua Tree Full Day Itinerary. The South entrance is located in Cottonwood Spring. Streambeds are usually dry and waterholes are few. Before you enter the park, stop at the Joshua Tree Visitor Center in the actual town of Joshua Tree. Head WEST on Hwy 62 and you will be back on Hwy 10 in 30 minutes! On a good day, with no traffic, it’ll take you 2.5 hours…but this is LA after all, so expect delays and plan for at least 3 hours of travel time to and from the desert.