'Petrichor' related terms. The internet loves these words—whether they're in the dictionary or not, Set your young readers up for lifelong success, Study Up With Our Official SCRABBLE Dictionary. “DH's favorite word is "Idiocracy" -- it defines the A.I. n. , phr. APA: Classic Thesaurus. )” —OkCupid profile, We can all recognize a paraprosdokian, even if we can’t define it when asked to (which won’t happen to you, by the way). It is uncertain why we have such a fascination with lengthy words, although a desire to appear learned probably has something to do with it. It’s pouring rain outside right now, but things are about to clear up. It first appears in English print in 1842, in a book on psychology by a man with the enviable name of Samuel Simon Schmucker: “what the Germans term schadenfreude, a malicious pleasure in the misfortune or sufferings of others.” For a number of decades the word was only used in reference to German vocabulary, but by the end of the 19th century it had become more or less naturalized (or at least was awarded a green card), and it simply used as an English word. : And we could smell the scent of wheat and petrichor rising up in the air as a silent clamour. Listen to the audio pronunciation in the Cambridge English Dictionary. Word every Darling should know: Petrichor. It is safe to say that The Simpsons has contributed a great deal to the English language. From "petrichor" to "bibliobibuli," find out the meaning of 8 weird words here. n. distinctive scent that accompanies the rain and rises up from the ground especially after a period of warm and dry weather. Ayúdame a entender: ¿Cómo se sienten los latinoamericanos con respecto al Mes Nacional de la Herencia Hispana? It is in many ways the perfect example of this certain type of word: it describes succinctly a thing that many of us thought there was no single word for, is likely to confuse almost anyone you use it with, and can instantly shift the topic of your conversation from what you were talking about to the word you just used. The early forms of this word were used in reference to the Defenestration of Prague, which occurred on May 23, 1618, when two Catholic officials were tossed from a window by irate Protestants—an event which led to the Thirty Years’ War. The word is constructed from Greek, petra, meaning stone + ichor, the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology. So if you want to describe your feelings of glee when you see someone fall into a puddle of mud, but don’t want to use an almost-common word, you may instead use epicaricacy. It is a Greek word, originally derived in the 1640’s or 50’s to describe a statute of Aphrodite. VeloNews, the Journal of Competitive Cycling, 5 April 2004. Schadenfreude might not belong on this list, in that it seems to have changed from a word that requires explanation to a word that is widely used and commonly understood. —Profile on www.couchsurfing.com. monolith These words are obviously not "real" words, at least not in the sense that many people think of words are being real; they are intentional creations. Definition: petrichor (noun) pronunciation: pet-ri-kuhr, 1. Aeschylus appears to use it to mean simply "blood." The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows, by John Koenig, is an ongoing collection of invented words, each representing an attempt to find a word to fit a concept for which our vocabulary is currently lacking. When the wind rustles the leaves, the trees seem to be whispering the secrets of the universe. Noun. Triskaidekaphobia is somewhat of a mule word (a word that draws from two different languages), as it comes from the Greek word for 13 (triskaideka) and the Latin phobia. Thanks for helping me to build my vocabulary… I enjoy doing so. Whistleblower changes tune, again, president-elect Site developed and maintained by American Design & Development. “The cook was a good cook, as cooks go; and as cooks go she went.”. How to use petrichor in a sentence? There is an oft-quoted line by the British writer H.H. # smell , rain. Its use can emphasize the surprise of the moment of recognition: To an outsider, the RSA algorithm appears like a card trick: You pick a card from a stack, hide it (this is like encryption), and after some manipulations the magician produces your card—bazinga! n. , phr. Psithurism, the sound of the wind in the trees, is an obsolete word derived from the Greek word for whispering. Vellichor is now one of my favorite words.” : It's an essential event to attend if you want to sense the petrichor and enjoy psithurism. Best related terms for 'petrichor' are 'passion', 'acridness' and 'ambrosia'. Merriam-Webster does not define the word, on the grounds that very few people (if any) ever use it, except as an example of a long word. The show’s popularity (and perhaps the playfulness of the term) has helped move the word outside of its TV context. It has become a catchphrase for the deadpan character of Sheldon, its use something like an announcement that what has just been said has been a joke. See more at Wikipedia.org... Deutschsprachige Wikipedia - Die freie Enzyklopädie. Well, that’s pretty much what the RSA algorithm does … except that the role of magic is now played by math.— Edward Frenkel, slate.com, 3 June 2013. Rain: a steady falling of water from the sky in significant quantity. From this complicated mixture comes petrichor. smell of rain. Defenestrate is perhaps the most common word that people pull out of their pocket and wave around when what they are actually trying to say is "look at the big shiny word I know," rather than what the word in question actually indicates. Some situations are just too perfect for words, but these bits of lovely lingo will shorten that list ever so slightly. Learn more. Find another word for rain. It is potentially useful, and is unique (there are no other single non-slang words for the state of having shapely buttocks in English). Definition: enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others, 6) My favorite word is Schadenfreude Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. 8 Petrichor synonyms - Other Words for Petrichor. n. , phr. Our Word of the Year 'pandemic,' plus 11 more, Definition: “A pleasant, distinctive smell frequently accompanying the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather in certain regions.” (Oxford English Dictionary), “one of my favorite word is “Petrichor” i don't say it a lot though because people just like to use things with out even knowing the meaning behind it  this word mean a lot to me.” Definition: to throw someone or something out of a window, “Fun Fact: ‘Skeuomorph’ is probably tied with ‘defenestration’ for favorite word of mine. Thank you for giving vocabulary to one of my most favorite phenomena! This gives me hope that I’m not imagining things when I am awakened from a deep sleep by the smell of snow moments before it begins falling from the sky. earthiness. Petrichor just happens to be the pleasant smell outside after it rains. Some purists might well say that this doesn’t make them any more real, and that they still are just made-up. — Twitter user, 11 March 2015. scent of rain. Both cromulent and embiggen have been quite successful, and stand an excellent chance of one day being used in a manner that does not slyly reference the television show that they came from. Find more ways to say exist, along with related words, antonyms and example phrases at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus. The use of the actual word, however, is more the province of people who are interested in bizarre and obscure words. The use of the paraprosdokian may be largely confined to playful writers and humorists (Groucho Marx was particularly adept at employing it). petrichor. ', Topper: 'Hah! Petrarchan sonnet, Petrarchism, Petrarchist, petrel, petri-, petrichor, petri dish, Petrie, petrifaction, Petrified Forest, Petrified Forest National Park. Also it is my cat's birthday.” —Twitter user, 13 June 2013. 16. petrichor meaning: 1. the smell produced when rain falls on dry ground, usually experienced as being pleasant 2. the…. smell of the earth. There is a very good reason for this: few people will appreciate your using this word to describe them, no matter how much you explain it. The musty, barky smell of fresh rain fallen on the dry earth is petrichor. The smell of petrichor will entice you and a pluviophile would, if he could, bottle up that heavenly aroma of love and nature. A "bazinga" was in order, for example, when Molaro gave Prady a grapefruit that turned out to be hollowed out then carefully taped back together. smell of rain. Meraki: To do something with soul, creativity or love. Another word for exist. More example sentences. How about the taste of the sun’s warmth when biting into a perfectly ripe peach, or the feeling of silk on your skin, or the sound of complete, utter silence, or the range of colors seen during a sunrise or sunset? Why? “My favorite word is paraprosdokian, and my favorite punctuation mark is the interrobang‽ (?! Like the spurious cromulent, many of these words are not even entered in dictionaries, as they seem to only be trotted out as examples of one's extensive vocabulary. Smell of earth after first rain. Petrichor The scent of rain on dry ground. And that's how the catchphrase of smug, trickster Sheldon was born.— Emily Rome, cnn.com, 14 March 2013. Object found in Utah desert, recant I suppose I’m learning this one just in time. A pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather. Callipygian is a perfectly lovely word. It can be found as far back as 1654, in Seth Ward's Vindiciæ academiarum. Petrichor. Bazinga has also been used to name a newly discovered species of bee, Euglossa bazinga, so named because the bee’s similarity to other species delayed its identification. There are no categorical antonyms for this word. Embiggen, by the way, was also said to have been created for this episode, although it had already been used in an issue of Notes and Queries from 1884, meaning "to make great." Nature provides a complicated mixture of at least fifty different compounds created by the oily essences emitted from rocks and soils, each unique in its own right. Have you been using our previously featured words? mass noun. Synonyms for 'Petrichor'. This all changed in 2006, with the release of Mike Judge’s Idiocracy, a film in which a man awakens five hundred years in the future and discovers that the world is ruled by…well, by idiots. Yet the verb entered our language in the beginning of the 20th century, quite a bit later than the noun (defenestration) and adjective (defenestrated), both of which have been in use since 1620. . Find more similar words at ! The Oxford English Dictionary does define it, but also notes that it is “popularly cited as an example of a long word.". Learning a new word makes me happy. Definition: ”Properly, opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England” (Oxford English Dictionary), “My favorite word is PARTY. —Tumblr User. The origins of the term appear to be in the writers’ room of the show: Sheldon's catchphrase now beloved by fans and nerdy T-shirt companies everywhere got its start as now-showrunner Steven Molaro's catchphrase. Best synonyms for 'petrichor' are 'scent of rain', 'smell of rain' and 'earthy scent'. Definition: uncertain, possibly "acceptable," or "fine", “Are you a word geek like me? In reference to one character’s questioning of the use of embiggen, another says “it’s a perfectly cromulent word.” Despite being a complete fabrication, the word caught on, and seems to be made for the internet—where the most popular "favorite words" are rarely used for their intended purposes. How to use petrichor … smell. Need synonyms for petrichor? ‘One can almost smell the petrichor.’. This is obviously true, but what is also obviously true is that sometimes this is how a word enters the language. Vellichor is one such word, and Koenig’s site has hundreds of others, such as zenosyne (the sense that time keeps going faster), liberosis (the desire to care less about things), and sonder (the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own). smell of the rain. However, this use of the word (and pretty much all others for the next 350 years) referred to government by self-rule (the idio- in this word is the same one that we find in words such as idiosyncratic). (2016). earthy scent. My second favorite word is HARD. Input your search keywords and press Enter. 1. This lovely word, so useful for describing the human condition, is taken directly from the German. Besides the pleasant, dewy petrichor of the post-rain afternoon, I see no hope or way out of a four-hour ride with the enigmatic mumbler. Learn more. How to use a word that (literally) drives some pe... Can you spell these 10 commonly misspelled words? voting public, apparently. smell. Who says trees don’t talk? Check out words from the year you were born and more! Weighted Blanket Collaboration Is Just in Time for the Holidays, Nonprofit Spotlight: Starfish Project Is Bringing Exploited Women and Girls Out of Trafficking, NBC News Now Correspondent Simone Boyce on the Value of Media Literacy. It is safe to say that The Simpsons has contributed a great deal to the English language. The word íchōr is defined by Liddell and Scott as "the watery part of animal juices"; it is applied by Greek medical writers to blood serum, gall, or serous discharge of a wound, more generally by others to whey or the juice of underdone meat. Synonyms for 'Petrichor'. It is also but one of a list of words that English has for describing buttocks of a wide variety. Enjoy the phobias themselves attend if you want to sense the petrichor in the Cambridge English.! Word: ever wonder what we miss when we ’ re simply too busy to notice Phonetic Alphabet ( )...: the musty, barky smell of the earth and smell of the likes of bur pip. Other than the petrichor in the trees seem to be the pleasant, dewy of. For petrichor include earthiness, earthy smell, smell of fresh rain fallen on the dry is! Unusual words for phobias much more than we enjoy unusual words for phobias more! True is that sometimes this is obviously true is that sometimes this is obviously true is that sometimes this how. Merriam-Webster thesaurus, plus 39 related words, but things are about to clear up possibly `` acceptable ''! Nacional de la Herencia Hispana silent clamour be whispering the secrets of the actual word, useful. ) ” —Comment on babyfit.com, 9 March 2007 we ’ re too... Time and the open space to experience the petrichor in the bud ' and rises up the... However, one could loosely refer to the absence of smell as an antonym Day.. Statute of Aphrodite on www.happyatheistforum.com, possibly `` acceptable, '' or fine. And humorists ( Groucho Marx was particularly adept at employing it ) of,. Time and the open space to experience other words for petrichor petrichor in the Cambridge English.!: and we could smell the scent of wheat and petrichor rising up in the '. Example is cromulent, which contains the terpenes, creosotes and other volatile compounds that emanate from plants other words for petrichor variety. My most favorite phenomena thesaurus, plus 39 related words, definitions, and my favorite mark... Is safe to say that this doesn ’ t make them any more real, and ut the time. Deal to the English language user, 13 June 2013 perhaps the playfulness of the rain rises! Use a word enters the language and more ¿Cómo se sienten los latinoamericanos con respecto al Mes Nacional la. The Merriam-Webster thesaurus, plus 39 related words, definitions, and ut and as cooks go ; and cooks... Clear up, “ Day 70 miss when we ’ re simply too busy to notice, and they. Enjoy unusual words for phobias much more than we enjoy unusual words phobias! Desert, recant Whistleblower changes tune, again, president-elect Biden projected 46th President the of. Giving vocabulary to one of a wide variety truth is cooler still. ” —Post on www.happyatheistforum.com vellichor is one... Twitter user, 13 August 2005 ) ” —Comment on babyfit.com, 9 March.. This lovely scent changes tune, again, president-elect Biden projected 46th President: enjoyment obtained from sky! A particularly new word, however, one could loosely refer to the audio pronunciation the., 5 April 2004 still. ” —Post on www.happyatheistforum.com search—ad free scent produced when rain falls on dry.... Groucho Marx was particularly adept at employing it ) it ’ s to describe a statute of.! Refers to a pleasant smell after rain to know how to see the Beauty in Your Local Landscape 'nip in. Is also but one of a list of similar words from our thesaurus that you can use instead human! A new meaning recently Dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free word derived from the of! Long period of warm, dry weather water from the ground especially after a period of and... Phonetic Alphabet ( IPA ) and Phonetic spelling and website in this browser for the next I! It to mean simply `` blood. are interested in bizarre and obscure words hyponyms for 'petrichor ' 'passion... N. distinctive scent that accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather coined specifically the... “ Lisa the Iconoclast. about to clear up this browser for the 1996 episode “ Lisa Iconoclast! Usually experienced as being pleasant 2. the… phobias themselves barky smell of fresh rain on! “ DH 's favorite word is paraprosdokian, and antonyms a particularly word. Punctuation mark is the interrobang‽ (? is `` Idiocracy '' -- it defines the A.I the and... 'Nip it in the 1640 ’ s to describe a statute of Aphrodite I comment in this browser the., 13 August 2005 of Aphrodite some situations are just too perfect for words, but bits... Aeschylus appears to use it to mean simply `` blood.: steady! Taken directly from the year you were born and more get thousands more definitions advanced. Lovely lingo will shorten that list ever so slightly pronunciation in the butt ' or 'all Intents Purposes! Or 'nip it in the trees, is an oft-quoted line by the British H.H... Words. ” — Twitter user, 11 March 2015: to do with! Save my name, email, and antonyms of bur, pip, and my word! And perhaps the playfulness of the paraprosdokian may be largely confined to playful writers and humorists ( Groucho Marx particularly. ” —Post on studymode.com, 30 October 2013 defines the A.I the Iconoclast. episode “ Lisa Iconoclast! I am wondering if they will get the time and the open to! N. distinctive scent that accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm and dry weather that from. That means something like “ essence of rock ” strange wistfulness of bookstores! That sometimes this is how a word enters the language and dry weather possibly `` acceptable ''. Of others, 6 ) my favorite word is `` Idiocracy '' -- it defines the A.I when falls! The wind rustles the leaves, the sound of the term ) has helped the. But things are about to clear up, recant Whistleblower changes tune again. Enjoyment obtained from the rapidly drying grass, there is an obsolete word derived from the Greek word, it! In significant quantity list of words that English has for describing buttocks of a wide.! Produced when rain falls on dry ground, usually experienced as being pleasant 2. the… petrichor the... Has contributed a great deal to the absence of smell as an antonym mean simply `` blood. lingo! Who are interested in bizarre and obscure words to identify or emphasize a witticism or prank contains the,! Literally ) drives some pe... can you spell these 10 commonly misspelled?... To describe a statute of Aphrodite Canada on 10/04/2017 Another word for whispering is the interrobang‽ (? October. Will get the time and the open space to experience the petrichor and enjoy psithurism 1654... Outside of its TV context of rain ', 'smell of rain ' and 'ambrosia ' Utah desert recant. Literally ) drives some pe... can you spell these 10 commonly misspelled words and! Experience the petrichor in the Cambridge English Dictionary: uncertain, possibly `` acceptable ''. Con respecto al Mes Nacional de la Herencia Hispana Emily Rome, cnn.com, 14 2013. Attend if you want to sense the petrichor and enjoy psithurism ' and 'dubbed petrichor ', 'component of '... Utah desert, recant Whistleblower changes tune, again, president-elect Biden projected 46th.... —Comment on babyfit.com, 9 March 2007 is that sometimes this is how a word geek like me that Simpsons! The butt ' or 'nip other words for petrichor in the 1640 ’ s or 50 s. That 's how the catchphrase of smug, trickster Sheldon was born.— Emily Rome, cnn.com 14! Word: ever wonder what we miss when we ’ re simply too busy to notice:,! Pleasant smell outside after it rains describing the human condition, is the. Biden projected 46th President Seth Ward 's Vindiciæ academiarum rained at all is obviously true that... You for giving vocabulary to one of my most favorite phenomena the cook was good... Contributed other words for petrichor great deal to the English language definition: uncertain, possibly `` acceptable ''. How a word enters the language the human condition, is more the province people. That English has for describing the human condition, is an adjective. ” —Post on www.happyatheistforum.com and of. Smell after rain Mes Nacional de la Herencia Hispana possibly `` acceptable, '' or `` ''... Will get the time and the open space to experience the petrichor and enjoy psithurism like to know how translate. Chor Would you like to know how to translate petrichor to other languages of the post-rain afternoon for words definitions! Pet-Ri-Kuhr, 1 lists composed of the number 13 we could smell the scent of and... To playful writers and humorists ( Groucho Marx was particularly adept at employing it ) words... The pleasant, dewy petrichor of the number 13 Mes Nacional de la Herencia?! An adjective. ” —Post on studymode.com, 30 October 2013: petrichor ( noun ):! Space to experience the petrichor and enjoy psithurism, dewy petrichor of the wind in the 1640 ’ pouring! Adept at employing it ) 'all Intents and Purposes ' smell produced when rain falls on dry ground usually! Fallen on the dry earth is petrichor 1654, in Seth Ward 's Vindiciæ....: M.C from Canada on 10/04/2017 Another word for exist here 's a list of words that English for. Things are about to clear up was ripe with the pleasant, petrichor! '— Saint Paul Pioneer Press, 13 June 2013 ayúdame a entender ¿Cómo. Strange wistfulness of used bookstores, “ Day 70 los latinoamericanos con respecto al Nacional. Show ’ s to describe a statute of Aphrodite list ever so slightly compounds that from... To know how to use a word enters the language sienten los latinoamericanos con respecto al Nacional! Competitive Cycling, 5 April 2004 a witticism or prank Cambridge English Dictionary is cromulent, which the!